The world is forever letting women know what they can and cannot do. A few years ago, it was – You are meant to take care of the home and kids. And, today, it is, you should be working outside the home to truly contribute. No, it is a choice, both men and women should be given. Happiness and peace come from doing things you like and enjoy. Of course, getting appreciation also matters!
So, if you are a housewife or a househusband, or are planning to be one, here are the 10 Skills you should absolutely know.
- Become aware of nutrition – Are you surprised that cooking is not the first! Well, to me, knowing and understanding nutrition is much more important than knowing how to cook. Every person needs to eat 4-5 meals in a day, and you will be the person responsible for preparing these meals. As such, it is necessary for you to know how to make tasty dishes which are nutritious. Get knowledge of proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, etc. to ensure you are all physically fit.
- Learn how to sew – You have to get ready to take on the responsibility of mending torn socks, sewing loose buttons or hems. Keeping your sewing kit ready for an emergency will come in handy for the smooth running of a home, and subduing tempers and tantrums. But, knowing how to stitch a skirt out of a bed-sheet or patching a quilt out of old coats, is a bonus. You can even learn how to knit or tat, to save money and create beautiful, cardigans, scarves, shawls or even tops!
- Brush up portfolio management skills – Project managers, rise to program managers and then become portfolio managers. Do you realize what this means? You have to learn the ten commandments of project management, learn how to fit every project into a program and manage them all together under the portfolio – keeping the house and the people living in it together as a happy, wholesome, bunch. People, finance and time management are the most crucial, as are planning, execution, and analysis.
- Master arts and crafts – Please do not think this is for school assignments only. You can decorate your home with self-made paintings, or crafts work. If this is not of interest to you, cultivate a hobby. Reading, dancing, writing poetry, video-gaming, there are so many things to choose from. These are the lifelines of a homemaker, giving you the freedom to express various moods, even if the end result is for your eyes only.
- Cultivate deep friendships – You will make many friends in the future, friends of spouses, parents from school, neighbors, and more. And, then there are friendships of your childhood and with cousins or other family members. Learn to call people home, go out for a coffee, or take time out to chat. Remember, you have to learn to love each friend as they will give you social standing, emotional support or tips, and tricks to make your life simple. You too can learn to support them, and that is a trait of a good homemaker, letting people know they can count on you.
- Be prepared for stress – Being a homemaker is a relentless job. You can switch off from an office, but you can never say Goodbye to your household duties. The pressure to keep everyone happy, and losing out on things you once considered important is going to happen. It is life, it happens to everybody, and you will be no exception. You have to prepare to take on the stresses of life with deep breathing, laughter, physical exercise and keeping your mind active and positive.
- Basic sciences are a necessity – Did you know home science or home economics graduates undergo training in basic sciences? Physics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology, Economics? This is apart from your basic food & nutrition, textiles, home cleaning, and child development! The basics are necessary to help you understand how an acid will react on a hard floor, or why certain foods will taste better with some ingredients.
- Child development is the key – Some homemakers choose the profession because they do not want to leave the kids with strangers. There are many parenting books and sites to help you understand and manage the different stages of your child’s growth. You can learn about their behaviors at every age, how to do CPR, treat illnesses, manage tantrums, entertain their friends ‘correctly’, face bruises. fractures, or even minor electrocution require immediate attention from a doctor. Apart from physical fitness, you also need to know how to challenge the young minds and keep them growing well.
- Learn how to drive – Believe me, despite all the public transportation you have, knowing how to drive a car is a necessity for a homemaker. Don’t treat this lightly. Dropping a child to school for a test or to the doctor’s clinic for inoculation is a task will more than likely be your responsibility. You should also know how to ride a bike, skip a rope, play hopscotch, throw a ball – the list is quite endless. These are skills you will use to interact with your kids and have a good time while doing so.
- Develop the happiness gene – I know scientific breakthrough still has not discovered the art of human genome interchangeability or enhancement. But, you have to convert your DNA into the happy gene. You have to learn how to remain happy, even when everything in life is going wrong, and days seem like endless minutes of chores. Your positive attitude will rub off on your partner, kids, plants, and the overall environment of your home.
Time will slip through your fingers, when you are preparing meals, looking for keys, driving kids to school, etc. Keep yourself happy, your friends around, and pursue a hobby, and you will enjoy the journey immensely.