You are in freelance content writing for the long-haul, aren’t you? If yes, then the question is – are you aware of the things clients expect from their freelance writers? do you know how important it is to think of your client as a long-term business partner? Meet them on an equal footing, even though you are the vendor, but don’t ever compromise on the #10Things clients expect from freelance content creators.
Here are a few harsh truths for you to digest:
1. Accept the fact, quality is treasured by all – This one is a no-brainer, nobody likes to deal with writers who cannot provide the quality expected. If you deliver, you get the work, if you don’t, you get left out.
2. Research is a win-win for all – If you cannot research, change your profession. From non-fiction to fiction to online content, research is the backbone of the final write-up.
3. Writing about the client gets applause – They are paying to get publicity for their brand, and if you start writing about products and services they don’t provide, then what is the point of paying you.
4. Insightful words will get you the praise – True that, but if you are unable to meet the demand of the type of content required, be ready to receive only one type of content writing assignment or none at all.
5. Reach your users, smartly and simply – Flowery language is perfect if you are describing a lover in a poem, but try that for your online content and you will be dropped like a hot stone.
6. SEO is the foundation to increase reach – Intent is the first brick of a search. If your content does not show up on search, the whole exercise of thinking, creating and editing is a waste.
7. Talk with candour, listen with respect – Ask all the questions you want, even the stupid ones, and you will get the answers, but have the intelligence to listen and embrace the requirement.
8. Today, timeliness is next to Godliness – Success for a freelance writer is totally dependent on the ability to deliver on time, every time.
9. Billing requires a dedicated will – If you do not raise your invoice as required, be prepared for delayed payments and the client’s unwillingness to work with you, however, brilliant you are.
10. Original is not a word, it is a way of life – If you cannot live and work by this belief of providing unique, original content, understand one thing right now, you may get work, but never repeat work.
11. Steady is the step reaching the path of success – Keep working steadily and honestly to become the best writer for the client.